Logo

Hot and No Smoke?

Sam110

Regular Contributor
In getting ready for the upcoming spring 'bite' I pulled out my '71 9.5 and the '65 FD-19 to run them a bit to get them ready. The 9.5 started and ran fine. The FD took a few more pulls to get it going but ran pretty well. However I was somewhat concerned with the amount of steam it was blowing. I felt the head and it was hot. I could only keep my fingers there for about 2 sec. and the exhaust water about the same. I also realized it wasn't smoking (burnt oil) nearly as much as the 9.5 had. After some wondering why, I realized I was running the 50:1 mix I used for the 9.5 and the FD being older probably should have the 32:1. I mixed up 2 gal of 32:1 mix in another tank I had, drained the carb and supply line of the other fuel, pumped it up, and ran it. It still got hot. The heat doesn't seem to adversely affect how it runs. It will idle as long as I let it. I still didn't see the smoke from the oil burning either? The paint isn't showing any signs of discoloration from the heat. The exhaust cover isn't hot.

I just acquired this motor in the previous season and I had replaced the thermostat and water pump and did a complete tune up but I didn't really have it out but a few runs on the river. I have no other history about it to share. Does this sound like a problem I should give immediate attention to? Can someone reason why I'm not getting a cloud of smoke from this old 2 cycle burning 32:1 mix? I'm running it in a barrel too by the way.

Back