Logo

Honda BF50 2006

seaspray

Hi, can anyone help I have a honda four stroke 2006 modle my tachomiter sticks a 3000 RPMs even when at full speed is the a common problem is there a fix ??

Last edited:
What brand tachometer? What setting is it on?

Are you sure it is a 2006? What is the serial number on the frame?

There was a transition 2005/2006 in which they changed the output to the tachometer. It could be one of two different settings and may even need a special resistor to added to fix the problem.

Or it could be a bad tach.

Does it go to zero when you turn the key switch to on? It should. If it does not, it is either not getting voltage or it is bad.

Mike

Hi Mike thanks for your reply, we bought the boat in 2006 so I assume the engine and the tach are of the same year, the tach worked fine untill a year or so ago, I will check the serial number and get back to you

Last edited:
I have also noticed the power trim have stopped working when I trim my engine whilst under power , could this be a bad connection??

If the tach worked ok in the past, then the tach is probably set correctly and needs no resistor.

Check out what I said about the tach needle when you turn on the key switch.

Do you have other gauges? Do they work ok?

The gauges get their power from the key switch. You may just have a disconnected lead. The black/yellow lead provides switched 12v.

As for the trim. Does it work when the engine is not running?
What about the trim switch on the motor itself? Does it work when the engine is running?
Both get their power out of the rectifier. If both malfunction, then the logical places to look would be the rectifier, connections, or the key switch. The lead that supplies power also goes into the key switch and it may be possible for it to be shorting to ground when the engine is running (not vary likely though....you would probably see smoke).

Check the fuses on the engine just be sure there is no corrosion.
Also, make sure your battery connections are tight and clean.

Mike

Hi Mike, I think there has been some mix up, the power trim works fine its the trim gauge that dose not work, when I adjust the trim of the engine when the boat is in motion the trim needle just stay in the up position.

Seaspray

I could just be the trim sender is stuck. Raise your motor all the way up and lock it in place. There is a lever on the port side above the trim mechanism...it may have some corrosion or debris holding it up. Operate it up and down by hand and turn you key switch to on. Have someone see if the gauge works when you move it up and down.

Also...check the wires for breaks and follow the wire up inside the engine to the connector and reseat the connector in case of corrosion.

That is the best place to start.

Mike

Hi Mike I checked the trim sender it was not stuck I also checked the wires back to the connectors all seemed ok there was no ovious signs of corrosion, however the trim gauge is still in the up position; could it be a fault with the trim sender its self or the trim gauge ,, is there any other ways I could check !!

Hi Mike I checked the trim sender it was not stuck I also checked the wires back to the connectors all seemed ok there was no ovious signs of corrosion, however the trim gauge is still in the up position; could it be a fault with the trim sender its self or the trim gauge ,, is there any other ways I could check !!

My trim gauge also quit working, if it triggers the alarm you can simply disconnect it.
i really don't see much value in it unless you are running in very shallow water.

Check for power to the trim gauge. Should be approx 12v with key on between black/yellow lead and black lead.

If you have power, then with a voltmeter, measure the voltage between ground and the sender lead (probably a yellow/blue lead). It should be a fairly low voltage and should vary as you tilt the motor up and down.

If that all happens, then it is most likely your gauge. If not then you have to check the resistance at the sender.

Mike

Back