Logo

Honda BF 5D lower oil leak

oswegatchie

Hi, I have a Honda 5hp outboard that I purchased last year. I've only ran it a few times and never had any issues. I stored it in my heated garage during the winter. I just got it out to get ready for some fishing and I noticed that oil is leaking out of the hole circled in this photo. I was wondering if anybody knows if there is supposed to be a screw or some type of plug in there ?

Screenshot_20230513-111134_Gallery.jpg

Hi,
Good question but I don't know.

Looking at the parts diagrams, it doesn't look like anything has changed over the years but I no longer have current info.

In the link below, the depiction clearly shows the case looking very similar to your photo but without the hole in the forward area of the case.

In the parts depiction link below they show the drain screw down low on the case and two fill screws with gaskets located well above the area in your picture. (Items 17 and 24 times 3).
There are no other components listed like plugs or screws for the side of the case.

This is a mystery that you may need to take to a Honda dealer to get the correct answer.

In the meantime though, to protect your transmission, you may want to drain the case and see if any water has entered.

You don't say what year it is but, even if it's a second hand purchase, if it's under 5 years old it should still be under the factory warranty.

Good luck.

Hi, thank you for the information, its a 2022 model that I bought new last year. I will drain it and look for water and try calling a dealer.
Thanks again !

Hi, that’s very mysterious leak, as I have same one same engine but some 10y older, searched all over the internet sent few mails to official dealer, repair shop…silence. I took engine last year to honda workshop they said it’s fixed but 6 months later star leaks again.
For one thing I’m sure it leaks from system oil not from gear oil, as oil level dropped in the tank.
Sorry I could not help more but let you if problem is solved, hope in next couple of weeks.

Back