Logo

Honda BF 150 leaking oil?

Gt fish

One of my motors will leak oil when tilted up out of the overflow tube..I checked the oil level when i changed my oil recently and the one that always leaks was short about a quart.I cleaned the engine real well to see if i had any other leaks but found none.Any advice would be appreciated. thanks!

Last edited:
Pull the starter and look inside to see if there is oil in the flywheel area. It there is...it is not good. Your crankshaft seal may be leaking. There are a couple of other seals that could be leaking. In either case, the powerhead would have to be pulled.

I have had a two year old 90 hp where it was not rigged properly and the water pressure going up the driveshaft and shift shaft blew those seals. Then water in the flywheel area rusted the crankshaft. The rust on the crankshaft then caused the crankshaft seal to go. Thus...water and oil in the flywheel area. This even caused two starters to fail before it got to us.

Hope for something simple.

Mike

No water in the oil..the starter has no oil anywhere..It just drips out of the overflow tube when the motor is tilted up.Usually when i leave it overnight. Otherwise there is no leaks anywhere else.

Ok now i think i have identified the problem. The oil appears to be coming from underneathe the pulley that attaches to the aleternator. It has been slinging oil up into the air plenum and into the air intake.I cleaned it all out and ran it and the was oil on the bottom of the cover and slung all around inside the cover leading to the plenum. Now my question is where do you get the tool to remove the main pulley to replace the oil seal? The only other place it could leak is the timing chain inspection plate but that seems unlikely.Will i have to take off the timing chain cover to replace the oil seal?

It is a Honda tool...07MAB-PY3010A 50 mm offset and 07JAB-001020A Handle. NOT CHEAP! The bolt takes a 19mm socket. Someone else on the forum, may have another way of doing it. I have used the flywheel lock (which locks the crankshaft) and one time and it worked, but it was still a bear.

You might be able to change the seal without removing the cover with some ingenuity. I have never tried. I normally have the cover off for other things and changing the seal is easy then.

One hint....The crankshaft pulley has a key in it... It normally is not a tight fit, so if you are not careful and grab it as you are taking off the pulley, it will fall into the hole and into the timing chain cavity. Then you will have to take off the cover. When you put the pulley back on, put the pulley on first and then slip the key in the groove. That way it should not fall into the hole.

Mike

Another question about the key..Is it under the bolt? Because there is no room underneathe the pulley to get anything in there thanks..

Once you remove the bolt, you will be able to see the slot and probably also the key.

I forgot to mention...when you go to put the bolt back on, you need clean the oil from the threads of the crankshaft, crankshaft bolt and washer. Then you put oil on the bolt threads and top of the washer only. Then torque to 181 ft lb.

I highly recommend if you have to go any further, to buy a Honda manual for Helm inc. There is a very specific way to apply sealant to the timing chain cover as well as torquing.

Mike

I got it i tilted the motor and used breaker bars and pvc pipes to wedge a gainst the transom POP! It came loose got the key out now waiting on seal..

Back