Logo

Honda 9.9

Boat MKE

I’ve got a few Honda 9.9s with electric starters. A few run great no issues and a few have different problems. If anyone has any knowledge on where to start that would be great, here are the problems.

One motor starts but will sputter and die as soon as it shifts into either gear. It takes 1-2 key turns then it runs completely fine. Where should I start in terms of diagnosing this problem. I would love for it to not not cut out and just run fine.

The other motor was running fine then will not start at all. I pull it out of the water and started it completely dry for ten seconds and it starts right up no issues. When I put it back in the water it wants to start it pees water but will not turn over at all. Where do I start with this one?

How old are these outboards and are you the original owner?
If you provide partial frame numbers that might help. Example: BABJ 160XXXX.

Are you using gas station pump gas? If so, you can pick up water and dirt if you choose the wrong station that doesn't service their filters regularly.
Just sayin'.

For the first one, these start enrichment systems or "automatic choke" are defaulted to "rich" fuel mixture for easy startup and cold weather warm-up. As the engine warms up the system will electrically "lean out" the mixture for normal operation. It's a fairly simple system but can be a pain if either the solenoid gets sticky or if the passage that provides the additional fuel for cold start gets dirty.

From what you say it is doing, my opinion is that the latter is likely true. I think that the enrichment passage might be a bit "gummed up". Try dosing your fuel with some Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery Oil. Use a pretty heavy
dosage according to the manufacturer of the product.

This doesn't always work but can't hurt and is WAY better than a carb removal and clean out if it does.

It also has the added benefit of providing a bit of decarbonizing action in the combustion chamber.

Also, PLEASE answer my questions as that could change my opiniin as the information "onion" gets a good peeling.

Gotta go...
...more later on the other outboard.

Last edited:
Ok...as to problem outboard #2...and, again, PLEASE answer my questions as the additional info might have a bearing on what might be happening.

When you say "I pull it out of the water" do you mean that you are tilting it up out of the water? If so, and it starts but then doesn't start when you tilt it back down then my opinion is that you definitely have water in your fuel.

I would suggest that you drain the contents of the carb bowl into a clear container and let it sit for 10 minutes and look for separation.
The 9.9 should have a carb bowl drain hose connected to a plastic nozzle located right next to the pee nozzle on the side case. It is there to provide for this very thing. You will need a longish 3/16" slot tip screwdriver to loosen the somewhat "tucked away" drain screw after locating it with the engine hood removed. Make sure that the outboard is in the verticle, straight ahead position when you drain the carb and try to have a helper with a folded piece of paper to help guide the contents into the container for best results.

I also suggest that you siphon some fuel from the BOTTOM of the supply tank into a clear container and let that set long enough to settle and separate.

Make certain that you remove enough liquid from the supply tank to provide a reliable test. About 2 pints is a good sample.

Get back to us with what you find doing those tests.

Last edited:
Back