Logo

High Pressure Fuel Pump Replace

AlertSystems

New member
I was just "forced" to replace the high pressure fuel pump in a 2017 Tohatsu 40hp 4 stroke. With diagnosis, I was charged $900 for the pump and $1400 in labor. Wow! That really seems like I was taken advantage of with this repair. The worst part, I was quoted $1500-$1700. Can anyone estimate what that work should have cost. They also tore up my trailer wiring.
 
2017 Tohatsu 4 stroke with about 50 hours. I'm still dubious about the cost of materials and labor.
That is not the model identity. One website shows two different 40 HP four stroke models. Of the two, which one specifically do you have?

Based on what see as to fuel pump pricing, and what I know about the labour to replace the pump, you have been screwed. Royally.

 
The FFP is the high pressure pump. Duh.

They gave you a discount. The vapor separator with FFP is MSRP 962.00.


Duh! is right.

Tohatsu does not think so. The high pressure pump is located within the vapor separator tank.

 
I can not imagine changing out the entire vapor separator tank if just the fuel pump within has failed.

Which is why the fuel pump is offered as a spare part. It is more than likely the most common part to fail. Except for maybe the filter.

For those that are daring and on a budget, non-Tohatsu pumps are available at a very reasonable price.

 
There is usually crud in the tank causing the FFP to fail, and then the whole thing is changed. Yes, it's possible for the pump to go... I just haven't seen it... That IS indeed a good price...
 
The voltage draw on the aftermarket pumps is different than what the ECM can supply. So, that burns out the ecms. Never trust an aftermarket fuel feed pump.
 
Back
Top