Logo

High pressure fuel leak.

skinut1

Contributing Member
I have a 06 Crownline 240EX with a 350 mag and bravo3 outdrive. I found gas squirting out from where the fuel line comes from the fuel module It is held in place with a set screw. It was real sloppy at that connection and I replaced the quad o-ring and the housing that the line goes into. tighter but still sprays fuel around the o ring and the stainless line. Could a bad pressure regulator be causing it to have too much pressure? I can't blow through the regulator but not sure if I should be able too.
Please advise !!!
Thanks

I have a 06 Crownline 240EX with a 350 mag and bravo3 outdrive. I found gas squirting out from where the fuel line comes from the fuel module It is held in place with a set screw. It was real sloppy at that connection and I replaced the quad o-ring and the housing that the line goes into. tighter but still sprays fuel around the o ring and the stainless line. Could a bad pressure regulator be causing it to have too much pressure? I can't blow through the regulator but not sure if I should be able too.
Please advise !!!
Thanks

Find a Merc Dealer and complain about the fuel cooler. I was getting them warranted all summer long. Maybe, if you complain enough they will cover it for you.

If not, pull the fuel line and look for a crack in the line. Look for corrosion where the line goes in. The parts can handle the max pressure of the pump which is well over 100PSI.

I replaced the cover that the line goes into and the quad ring but it still sprays out around the line. My merc rep said it must be the pressure regulator. He said the quad ring set up wouldn't handle what the pump would put out if the regulator was bad.

I replaced the cover that the line goes into and the quad ring but it still sprays out around the line. My merc rep said it must be the pressure regulator. He said the quad ring set up wouldn't handle what the pump would put out if the regulator was bad.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and you will see what the pressure is. Sorry but the merc rep is incorrect. On the back side of the module there is a brass plug, this is the High pressure bypass. I have seen fuel pressure approach 125 psi when this brass plug wears and pushes the spring and ball against the seat tight and no fuel leak.

If the regulator is plugged up your pressure will approach 60 psi. If the brass plug on the back is worn it will go over 100 psi and still not leak.

If you pull this plug out be careful, there is a spring which rides on the plug and a check ball. What happens is, the spring, which is hard, rubs on the brass plug and cuts threads into the brass creating steps for the spring to jump up on putting too much pressure on the check ball and putting your fuel pressure over 125 psi.

I have serviced, repaired and replaced a lot of these units.

"My merc rep said it must be the pressure regulator. He said the quad ring set up wouldn't handle what the pump would put out if the regulator was bad."

Do you really think the engineers at Mercury would design a fuel module that would spew fuel under high pressure if a component like the regulator Failed? The Liability would be Massive. The fuel line and seal can take anything the pump can push.

Mercury is a CYA company when it comes to safety.

I replaced the pressure regulator last nite and it still sprays fuel around the line where it comes out of the fuel module. I just went ahead and pulled the 4 blue plugs and drained the water and put my oil pan heater on for the winter. It is supposed to get in the 20's here this weekend so I was afraid not too. Boy, this is going to eat at me all winter.
Thanks for the help.

Back