Logo

Here we go again. No spark on cylinder 1 on 1975 135hp Johnson

The trigger is a sealed assembly. So I assume "swapped the 1/3 trigger pair with the 2/4 pair" means you swapped the leads.

To be honest, its 3 degrees out & I'm not going outside to grab a manual. I am not aware of any gap adjustment but Racer has more experience than I do.

You have spark on 3 at cranking speed now & 4 with the plugs removed. Put it in the water & try it. One cylinder fires & it will speed up, probably run OK forever.
Right, I just swapped the leads. So I get what you're saying. Maybe I've improved things slightly along the way. But the last time I had it in the water, I was running it up to around 1000rpms and was down that #1 cylinder. But, I'll try it again and hopefully it's better now. Thanks.
 
Well, I started it up on muffs and it sparks on #1 as soon as it fires up. Still not while cranking. It may have been doing that all along and not even be the issue.

Now, it won't stay running. It fires up and then immediately RPMs drop and it cuts out. Before, it would start up fine and stay running, but not go above 1000rpm in gear. I think I need to look at the carbs now. I pump the primer bulb and gas spews out where the inlet hose connects to the pump, even though the clamp is tight as hell. Like the fuel doesn't want to go into the carbs. It does this with the original fuel pump or a new one.
 
Well, after going to the bottom of this rabbit hole looking for the no spark on 1 issue, I never found why it wouldn't spark below 500rpm. Oh well, it doesn't really matter as long as it sparks above 500rpm. So after putting it all back together, it still had the same problem of not revving over 1000rpm. So I actually starting thinking this time and addressed the actual symptom. I figured the butterflies weren't opening or the timer base was dragging. It was the timer base. I wish I never noticed that bad spark.

So now I just need to fix the super stiff steering. It was stiff before, but I actually liked it since speed boats tend to torque steer. But it got much stiffer sitting in the garage for a couple cold months.

Thanks to all who commented.(y)
 
Back
Top