Logo

help

johno77

I have a mariner 175hp mariner. The serial number is OC221001 can someone tell me what year it is?

I im thinking about getting a 200hp mercury its an 1982 model.Im just wondering if these parts would be universial.Like the block of the 200hp to the 175hp.

The 175 mariner.Its a bit sick well real sick.The cylinder is scored and looks like it gone through the crome sleeve and scracthed the block.Im thinking parts might be good from another motor like the 200hp.Or leave the 200hp as is and keep the 175hp for parts for the 200hp.

What do you guys reakon?

I wouldn't go "older" than 1986.

That was a major year of change for Merc (give or take a year).

Before that point parts are getting really scarce.

Most models built in 85/86/87 stayed pretty much the same up into the mid 90's and then were only changed slightly until their production ended in the mid-2000's.

If you are looking at a specific model make sure you can get even the basic parts for it. If you plan on keeping the motor you will need carb kits, water pump kits, maybe coils, a switchbox, stator, trigger (maybe).

Better to know ahead of time if the parts can be had than blow something at the beginning of next season and have a 400 lb paperweight.

Back