Logo

Help

reefdog

I am in need of guidance on how I should best go about getting my 98 Volvo penta back up and running.

I just received a hand-me-down 98 Forwins vista 258. The boat has been sitting out of the water for 5 years but still seems in very good shape. I know that it needs a new starter and hired a mobile marine mechanic to come and replace it. He refused to refer to the engine as a Volvo penta and only called it a merc cruiser. His reason was that they are the same, is this true? Then instead of ordering Volvo parts he bought Arco. Has any one used Arco parts and how are they? Long story short, I realized I did not fully trust the guy who didn’t have his own tools and ended the service agreement.
Has anyone used fun time boats in merrit island FL or Power house Marine in Miami FL?

After I get the starter in, change the oil, flush the tanks, and re grease everything, do you recommend looking into anything else?

Who do you recommend to work on Volvos in south fl?

Thanks

As long as the starter is correct for the fywheel tooth count, it will be OK.

Let's hope that he had the smarts to use one of the HTGR/PMGR starter motors, and not a Non-Gear Reduction unit!
If using one of the HTGR/PMGR starter motors , be sure that you get, or double check, the bolts that are to be used with this.
Often the length is not the same due to the nose housing being slightly different.
You do not want a bolt bottoming out prior to clamping the nose.

With him not having tools, and his attitude towards not referring to this as a Volvo Penta engine, I'd sure not be allowing this guy to make any changes to ignition advance.
Best leave this up to someone who knows and recognizes the differences between automotive and Marine.

Don't be afraid to ask questions of anyone who is doing work for you.
The more able they are to answer these, the more qualified they may be.
Double check here on the forum if need be.

Last edited:
Thanks Ricardo and Chris,
The service shop that I am speaking with now says that because the bolt holding the starter in there is so rusted they will have to pull the engine to get it replaced.(a second opinion confirmed this) The job is truing into a big one!

Always, always, always, warm up the engine before attempting to crack these starter motor bolts loose. Same with exhaust man/riser bolts!
The heat may not always work, but if/when it does, you are very much ahead of the game.

Ask that a sealant be used on the new bolts.
Sealant will help keep moisture out.... and will allow these to be easily removed in the future.

Perhaps locate the water source that caused the issue in the first place.

Back