Logo

Help

muddriver

"I am trying to replace the st

"I am trying to replace the stringers in my V hull boat. I am using 2, 12foot 2x10, pieces of lumber. My question is how do I make a template following the fore to aft curvature of the hull, PLUS: the angle of the V hull?! Several attempts of guesswork cutting have not given me favorable results; the wood does not sit flat on the hull and the V angle is wrong too. How is this done? Thanks"

Phil...is it possible to cut o

Phil...is it possible to cut out the old stringers to use as a guide or are they in too bad of shape?

The old stringers were split a

The old stringers were split and severely rotted; held water like a sponge and came out in many pieces. I tried to puzzle together what I could but it did not work too well. Is there a way to getting the correct hull curve and V angle without?

So it appears it does not have

So it appears it does not have to be perfect at the bottom where my problem is. Wood should not touch the hull. Just fill in the 1/4 to 1/2 inch gap with PL caulk and glass over it. What is PL caulk? Thanks Bob for your time and knowledge. I'm obviously a "newbie" to boating.

Back