Logo

help with my 1986 3.0 litre gm

john barba

i just got finished rebuilding my 1986 3.0 litre, i put new piston rings, had to replace one piston, i got a used head in good shape off a 1999 mercruser 3.0 litre,got it running put it in the water and oil started to come out of the valve cover vent tube, can anyone tell me what can cause this? help me please

i just got finished rebuilding my 1986 3.0 litre, i put new piston rings, had to replace one piston, i got a used head in good shape off a 1999 mercruser 3.0 litre,got it running put it in the water and oil started to come out of the valve cover vent tube, can anyone tell me what can cause this? help me please

It sounds like there's blow by pressure from the lower end of the engine. This could be the rings installed incorrectly or a bad piston. It sounds like a compression check is in order....

no water ? Was it milky.

How many quarts did you put in.

You saw the dipstick after you filled it?

Is it overly full now, milky on the stick.

If you don't want to reply to me it's ok with me cause i won't ask any more questions without some reply back.

no water in oil, put 4 1/2 quarts in, dip stick looked good not over full about 1/4 quart low now
no water ? Was it milky.

How many quarts did you put in.

You saw the dipstick after you filled it?

Is it overly full now, milky on the stick.

If you don't want to reply to me it's ok with me cause i won't ask any more questions without some reply back.

the motor is level ? I have this exact motor the stock pan holds 4 quarts of oil with a new filter.

If you put 4 and 1/2 quarts you put in 1/2 quart to much.

Where did you read you need 4 and 1/2 quarts.

A merc 86' 3.0 would take 5 quarts with new filter.

Not 5 and 1/2 .

This is not my opinion this is fact. What your doing is aerating the oil.

Back