Logo

Help Troubleshooting a 67 6hp

palerider

Hello, new to the forum and look forward to learning and eventually contributing.

The situation i have is that I have 1967 6hp Johnson I received from a freind of mine. Its sat for about 10 years. Could not get started - plugs looked dry but after about after 50+ pulls was able to get it started. Let it run for a while. Noticed it was getting hot and shut down. Let it cool and tried starting again nothing, plugs were dry after cranking on it some many times led me down the path thinking it was fuel related. Plus it is getting spark. Checked with spark tester and getting 1/4 in jump in both cylinders. Did compression test getting 55 to 60 lbs in both cylinders. Seem low but i;ve heard older ones had less compression and it should start with that level.

Here is what I've done:

1. Checked fuel pump
2. Took carb out is was pretty clean put let it soak anyway and blew out passaged - still nothing
3. Shot fuel directly in carb throat - nothing
4. Shot fuel in cyclinders - tried starting - nothing - did even sound like it wanted to fire
4. Putt fogging oil directly in carb throat and gave it some pulls - pulled plugs and they were dry, leading me to belive no fuel is getting to cylinders
5. Checked top seal looks ok - no oild present or showing
6. Pulled head and looked at cylinder walls - no scoring
7. Pulled out powerhead so I could get inatke off and will check reed valves tonite

Open for suggestions

thanks

Back