Logo

HELP! Lost Spark on one bank (cylinders 2,4, & 6)

addicted2salt

I have a 1996 mercury 150hp which lost spark on the port side of the motor. The problem occurred off and on few times (resulting in idle-only speed) before becoming constant. After checking stator voltages, I switched the switch boxes. Low and behold spark on all 6 cylinders came back after doing so. All though the problem seems to be fixed I have a bad feeling about running the motor the way it, as I believe I read somewhere that running it as is can cause more problems. Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Any help would be great. Thank you!!!

The resistance is just over 14,000 ohms on both boxes. Just to make sure I did it right, I disconnected the jumper wire and checked the resistance from that top left terminal to the ground on the bottom right. I did that on each switch box while the engine was NOT running.

I read about a voltage test on those two terminals while the engine IS running. Is that necessary in this situation?

I have done research but I am not familiar with the shift switch. What is it and how do I test it?

I appreciate the help!!

Back