Logo

Help Joe 1992 Evinrude 15hp

jordan

" I can`t get my motor to idle

" I can`t get my motor to idle. We changed s/plugs and clean the carb. But it will not idle and the only way to get it to idle is to start it up and quickly shift it into gear and open the throttle. Also what is the correct gap for the s/plugs.
Thanks in advance,
Jordan "

"Jordan.... Compression should

"Jordan.... Compression should be approx 80/100 psi and even on both cyls. Spark should jump a 7/16" gap on both cyls. Did you check either one?

Has the engine been sitting for any length of time. If so, it's possible that the carburetor is fouled and will require cleaning. I know you said you cleaned it. Did you remove and clean the brass fixed high speed jet that's located at the bottom of the carb?

The spark plugs should be Champion s/plugs QL77JC4, set at .040 .

If the carb is out of adjustment, here is the procedure to reset it:

Initial setting is: Slow speed = seat gently, then open 1-1/2 turns.

Start engine and set the rpms to where it just stays running. In segments of 1/8 turns, start to turn the S/S needle valve in. Wait a few seconds for the engine to respond. As you turn the valve in, the rpms will increase. Lower the rpms again to where the engine will just stay running. Eventually you'll hit the point where the engine wants to die out or it will spit back (sounds like a mild backfire). At that point, back out the valve 1/4 turn. Within that 1/4 turn, you'll find the smoothest slow speed setting.

When you have finished the above adjustment, you will have no reason to move them again unless the carburetor fouls/gums up from sitting, in which case you would be required to remove, clean, and rebuild the carburetor anyway.

Joe
"

Back