Logo

Help bzbh 130 spits and sputers after first run HELP

• Thread starter Capt Fuzzy Francois
  • Start date
C

Capt Fuzzy Francois

"I have a 130 with very low ho

"I have a 130 with very low hours. It has been retrofitted to new style VST Tank assy due to recall. It starts up perfectly after }setting at dock and runs perfectly until I stop and Idle around looking to find bait. After iddiling it won't get on plane, it spits and sputters and backfires through the intake. If I turn it off and let it sit around 20 minutes it will run great again until I back it down and idle and then same problem. }It sounds like it does not have enough fuel. I have removed the onboard fuel system and hooked a 6 gallon tank new bulb and hose directly to low pressure pump all connections clamped with new clamps no gromet where it comes through lower cowling.No change. I have removed the VST tank and inspected it it was very clean, I cleaned it anyway and checked for proper float valve setting and also proper opreation. I have replaced the high pressure fuel pump and filter, no change. I claimed another high pressure pump on warranty and replaced it again, no change. I have checked all hoses in fuel system all are good. I have replaced o ring where fuel hose enters VST assy. I have installed new fuel regulator valve. I have also noticed even when the boat is running good that if I hit a big wave the motor will cut out for a split second. Also motor is mounted on jack plate when I take off if I trim motor to far down it will spit and sputter, trim up a bit and problem disapears. Could float level be to low and I am sucking air when I hit a wave? Is there an oil level switch that could be malfunctioning? Please} help !!!!!!!!!!!!"

"RE: "Also motor is mounte

"RE: "Also motor is mounted on jack plate when I take off if I trim motor to far down it will spit and sputter, trim up a bit and problem disapears."
Possibly there is too much back pressure on the exhaust when the motor is jacked down. Set engine to proper factory depth whan boat is a rest and leave it there...See if problem disappears.

Re: "Could float level be to low"
This typically causes porblems at WOT

Re: "am (I) sucking air when I hit a wave?"
Even if you were, loss of coolant flow for a second would not cause problem...HOWEVER!!! if the engine is jacked down too low, then you could be burying the exhaust too deep when the boat comes back down.

RE: " Is there an oil level switch that could be malfunctioning? "

Always possible, also loose wire... Problem in wiring harness that appears when you jack the engine up or down?"

I have a temp light and an oil

I have a temp light and an oil pressure light. When in limp mode if you throtle up will the motor siit and sputter and pop through intake. If I let the motor set about 15 or 20 minutes it starts and runs perfect again I'm thinking it could be something heat related.

Hey Just don't mean to sou

Hey Just don't mean to sound stupid but just trying to learn about my motor cause I really like it when it runs good. Question Is this motor equiped with a computer like my car that I can hook up to and get codes out of. PS I'm not cheap it's just I have known our local Honda mechanic for a long time and he has a reputation that if the problem is difficult or intermitent that he throws in the towel and try's to sell you a new motor. So far I have paid over a thousand in labor at $125 per hour and bought a high pressure fuel pump a fuel pressure regulator 2 new fuel bulbs hoses and clamps etc and now he wants to sell me a new motor. I haven't seen him hook it to a computer.

Back