Logo

Hardly ran my boat this past season...

fjd_98

New member
For various reasons, I had my boat on the water only 5 or 6 times this year. At the end of the season last year, I changed the oil, gear lube and fuel filter. Is it necessary to repeat all of these steps again this year, or am I good for another season? My boat is a 1996 Chaparral 2130 with a Mercruiser Aplha One stern drive.
 
oil is recommended to change at end of season to remove blow by and other acidic things to keep the engine from rotting out.
out drive is recommended in case there was any water intrusion it does not freeze and crack.

somebody can give you the the long mechanical answer but I would do a full winterization and don't forget the marine grade fuel sta-bil izer.
 
I'm extremely anal about this stuff....... however, if those 5 or 6 outings equates to about 5 or 6 hours run time....., I'd not worry so long as the oil still has a nice clean appearance. The Alkalinity/Acidity level will generally not be all that high, in that short a time.
Your call on that!

Drive oil does not undergo contamination from fuel combustion bi-products!
So if not contaminated with water or metallic debris......, often there is NO need to change it!
Again, your call on that!

.
 
I agree w/Rick. I did what you want to do last year w/my own boat. I had extended service Mobil 1 oil in the engine. All I did was change the oil filter and used it all this last season. I checked the OD oil for water contamination after the boat sat for a month. The oil was clean so I did not change it.
 
For various reasons, I had my boat on the water only 5 or 6 times this year. At the end of the season last year, I changed the oil, gear lube and fuel filter. Is it necessary to repeat all of these steps again this year, or am I good for another season? My boat is a 1996 Chaparral 2130 with a Mercruiser Aplha One stern drive.

I agree that with low hours of use the replacing of the drive /engine oil if still clean and free of contamination would be ok not to replace.. what I do is with every season of use even if little used , remove the drive, and lube and check the gimble /drive shaft , check bellows for damage/water and grease every thing...including the shift cable etc....
 
5 or 6 times? You're lucky! I got mine out 4 at the most due to crappy weather here in the PNW. My boat has been winterized for a month now already. I just popped the spark plugs to fog the cyls and carb. Put stabilizer in the fuel tank and topped it up and drained the water out of the system. Put up the rain cover and that's all I'm doing this year. If I feel inclined next spring I may change the oil and plugs but they looked like new a month ago. If weather permitting next summer, I plan on a LOT of use to make up for this past summer. Also I usually take my prop off as well.
 
...........
  1. I just popped the spark plugs to fog the cyls and carb.
  2. Put stabilizer in the fuel tank and topped it up .....
  1. That is not Fogging! Fogging is done dynamically using the intake system!
  2. We need to run the engine after doing this, as to bring it into the fuel delivery system!
 
5 or 6 times? You're lucky! I got mine out 4 at the most due to crappy weather here in the PNW. My boat has been winterized for a month now already. I just popped the spark plugs to fog the cyls and carb. Put stabilizer in the fuel tank and topped it up and drained the water out of the system. Put up the rain cover and that's all I'm doing this year. If I feel inclined next spring I may change the oil and plugs but they looked like new a month ago. If weather permitting next summer, I plan on a LOT of use to make up for this past summer. Also I usually take my prop off as well.

you should use the fogging spray into the carb/throttle body with the engine running . I will get the engine running , shut off the fuel tank supply and start fogging until stall..

then remove plugs put about 1/2 ounce of marvel oil in each cylinder and rotate engine by hand. then put the plugs back in ..

fogging when the engine is running should protect the valves.
 
Back
Top