Logo

Hard Starting After Warm-up 1997 5.7

troym

Advanced Contributor
1997, 5.7L, 2bbl Mercarb, Thunderbolt V, Alpha-1

From cold iron engine starts right up. After it's warmed up and sits for anything more than 10 or 15 minutes, it's a real pain in the butt to resart. Acts like it's flooded. I do get a whiff of fuel sometimes. If I keep cranking it, 30+ seconds, it finally starts to fire, coughs a few times, then runs great. If it didn't run so good after it is finally running, I'd suspect ignition problems. A carb problem is my first guess, but can't figure out what since it runs fine. Idles 600-700rpm smooth as silk and good power all the way up to WOT.
Ideas?

Re: Hard Starting After Warm-up

Sounds like the electric choke is not working. It should be warm to touch after a few minutes and opened wide by 15 mins. If it is cold to touch then it has either lost 12 vdc or the heater element is burned open.

last year had a problem with hard starting after 3.0 mercruiser
was warmed up. found a new aftermarket needle & seat bad, I
finally found the problem with a flash light. I warmed the engine
up with the spark arrestor off the carb, killed it and looked in
the carb with a flash light, it didnt start dripping gas right away
but it started about a minute after, this flooded the engine and
made for hard starting. Replaced the needle & seat
again, Ran and started fine.

Thanks for the replys. I did rebuild the carb about 2 years ago... aftermarket kit. About the third problem that occured as a result.
I'll tell you all between the aftermarket carb rebuild kit and the AFU bolts from the aftermarket starter, I think I'm becoming a firm believer in OEM parts. They're more expensive, but at least you know what you're getting.

Next logical step for the carb is to do another rebuild with OEM parts and see how it works.

Check it first. If you don't see the dribble, try starting it, when warm, with the throttle half open. Remember, the fuel blend changes with the seasons and the federal mandates.

Aftermarket stuff is okay; as you found, you just have to be careful with what you buy.

Back