Logo

Hard decision -- engine renewal approach?

brian_vancouver

I hate opening a broad question, but here goes.

I'm a new owner of a 1949 Monk Cruiser, similar to Chris Craft, powered by the original Chrysler Crown 6 cyl engine. The engine runs well, but has a material problem(s):

1) I've noticed steaming and some intermittent coolant pooling around the plugs after a warm run;

2) I've now discovered that a previous owner has patched a crack in the exhaust manifold -- now leaking outward. And;

3) Its an oil burner, but oddly doesn't blow blue smoke or foul the plugs. In fact, all of the plugs show its burning very rich and there is sooting in the exhaust.

I have to make a decision on repair/renewal.

a) should I repair the exhaust manifold and live with the oil issue, particularly since it only gets relatively light recreational use?

b) should I re-power the boat, say with a modern diesel. If yes, any idea what the total budget should be? I suspect this isn't economic?? Or;

c) should I reinforce the transom and covert to a modern outboard engine? Probably the most engineeringly sound solution.

Please only provide practical advise. I'm not meaning to bait any purist debates -- I have to deal with this problem,

Many thanks,

Brian

Back