Logo

grease zerk location on Volvo 270 out drive

This shows the grease point for the main bearing on an AQ130C/270 setup. It is located on top of the bell housing.

IMG_4853.jpg

There is also at least one zerk on the outdrive itself.

IMG_3497.jpg

The PDS lube fitting in Am_Dew's first photo has very likely been added. Back during this model, many of these flywheel covers had the cup/cap style grease fitting. Any can be changed.
If yours has not been changed to a zirk, there's an even greater chance that PDS bearing has not been serviced regularily. This is one bearing that you don't want to ignore. Change it... it's cheap to do!
Grease this PDS bearing with the engine running.

In the second photo, this grease fitting was intended to force grease in/around the lower pivot tube needle bearing cage. The porting is wrong, and it instead brings grease in above the needle cage, rather than into the needle cage.
It won't hurt to grease it, but don't get your hopes up. Best to lube this if you were to ever take it apart.

Rick, I have the old style cap on that the flywheel cover... what's the procedure to lube that bearing without zirk? Thanks, Rennevat

The procedure was to fill the cup with grease, and thread it back on.
As the cup tightens, the cup volume decreases and the grease is pushed into the grease port.
very slow and very inefficient.

You'd best change this bearing.

Any good directions on changing pds bearing? how many pumps of what type of grease? Thanks!
Which engine?
Some use a single PDS bearing that is serviceable, some single bearing PDS requrie a sealed bearing. Some use two open bearings.
Grease quantity for open bearings will be enough to see grease oozing through the ball cage. Spin the PDS while doing this.

Aq131/270 Volvo 1984. Installed grease zerk in grease cup cap. Lube it boat got quiter. Time to do bearings.
Yep, I'd sure say so!

When you re-install the PDS with the "open" bearing installed on it, and before you install the AFT-most seal, pump the cavity full of grease until you see it ooz from the ball cage. Goog grease.... not the green marine grease.... the good stuff.
Do this while you bump the engine over!
This helps purge any air from the cavity.

Only then do we install the Aft-most seal in a non-conventional direction.
IOW, when installed correctly, the lip seal tension spring will be visible from the rear.

With an AQ130C with the fitting I pictured above, how many squirts of grease should I inject into that fitting each year?

With an AQ130C with the fitting I pictured above, how many squirts of grease should I inject into that fitting each year?
Not an easy nor simple question to answer.
I work on these, I change the PDS bearings, I change the seals, and I see many different issues.

I'll make this as short as possible, and will cover both serviceable and non-serviceable PDS bearings:

With any PDS bearing(s) that is serviceable, the grease cavity must be Pre-Filled at the time of installation. This is done while spinning the PDS to ensure air purging. If single bearing PDS, and if the engine is still in place, just bump the starter motor while you add the grease. Watch the ball cage until you see grease coming from it.
ONLY now is the rear seal inatalled... and in the non-conventional direction.

The bearing(s) and seals for these are industry standard ...... no need to purchase through Volvo Penta.

They are available in an "open" and "sealed" style. Same p/n...... with an extension number for the sealed bearings.

Any PDS cavity that is grease ported, requires an "open" bearing(s).
Any PDS cavity that is NOT grease ported, requires a "sealed" bearing. (these are usually a single bearing PDS)

If yours is a serviceable bearing, and if the cavity was pre-filled at the time of the last bearing replacement, then two or three pumps while the engine is running at idle.
Dynamic -vs- Static!
Dynamic ensures a better exchange of old grease for NEW!
Same with the Merc and OMC Cobra guys with your Gimbal Bearings....... run your engine while greasing these!
Long as we're on topic.... same with trailer wheel hubs that are the EZ-Lube, Sure-Lube and Super-Lube hubs.
Raise your wheel off the ground, and spin it while greasing. (not Bearing Buddies.... they do not lube bearings)

Here's the catch!
If the previous person who installed new PDS bearing(s) did NOT pre-fill the cavity, then we have no way to tell how much grease is required to even reach the aft-most bearing.

I've removed PDS bearings whereby both the cavity and the bearings were as dry as a old bone. :mad:
I've removed them where the grease cavity was only partially full of grease .... bearings dry as bone... no chance of two/three pumps doing any good! :mad:

I've removed them where too much grease was given, and the FWD grease seal had be pushed out of position. :mad:
When this happens, no future grease can make it to the AFT-most, and more important bearing.
(this would be the V-8 2 brg PDS affair)

Just yesterday I removed a later model DP-C1 PDS.
This is the V-8 single bearing PDS... non-serviceable.... and will be a sealed bearing.
The bearing had been installed by a reputable Volvo Penta shop here in Portland.
They had installed an "Open" bearing in this Non-Serviceable fywheel cover. :mad:

Bottom line............. If you are in doubt at all......, remove the PDS and start fresh.
A failure here can end up costing you dearly.

Last edited:
Back