Logo

GM 5.7L (TBI) Repower Options

prohan007

[FONT=&quot] In SoCal and it's time to repower. I'm looking for advice on the best way to proceed.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] New GM Marine Longblock Crate Engine or remanufactured marine longblock or take to a machine shop to be rebuilt. I have twin (circa 2000) VP 5.7L GSi (TBI) engines. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] I have spent many hours researching different engine suppliers, reman outfits, and machine shops. It seems that most have bad reviews about quality, warranty, poor customer service after the sale, or all of the above. I don't mind paying for good quality, just looking for a reputable company, builder, or machine shop to deal with, any advice would be appreciated. I plan to remove and install the motors myself. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] Thanks in advance.[/FONT]

the crate/reman option is fastest. Personally, I prefer to work with a local machine shop that understands 'marine' applications.
The other thing to consider is that what you have is at least 20 years old...may be a 'better value' getting a pair of 'new' engines...really depends on your personal circumstances.

I've reengined two of my boats over the years and had a ringside seat to my YC reengining of their committee boat ( used to run
sailboat races)...

After much analysis and soul searching I decided both times to buy brand new factory crate engines. These swaps were done over 20 years apart ( the first an LM318 the second a 5.7 MIE @260HP both FWC) on two different boats. Paid for swaps and never lost an hour of operation the first 5 years.... The YC ignored my advice and had a local "trusted" mechanic do a swap fora reman keeping the old carb ( which was rebuilt) and alt, starter, etc. The YC's boat was out of commission, after the swap for a number or reasons 4 times in a 12 week racing season, the first summer and at the beginning of the second season an independent mechanic diagnosed an intermittent issue that took 3 weeks to fix... with a cost saving of ( new vs reman) of $1200 on a $14,000 tab. U pays your money you get......

Last edited:
Back