Logo

Generator on b60 Johnson 40hp

jim

" I have an electric start Joh

" I have an electric start Johnson 40hp without a generator and I have a couple of questions before I begin using it. I assume that I will have to regularly charge the battery as the charge is not being replaced, right? (This may sound like a dumb question, but I have had two-stroke dirtbikes--without generators/alternators--that kept a battery charged.) Also, how difficult would it be to add a generator, if need be?

Thanks for your help.

Jim "

"Jim.... If your engine is an

"Jim.... If your engine is an "Electric Shift" engine, you would deffinitely need a generator. However, if your engine is a manual shift engine, all you are using the battery for is to crank the engine. Once the engine is running, it runs on a magneto and there is absolutely no voltage draw from the battery.

To install a generator, you would need: A flywheel with the top raised portion having a ribbed section to accept the generator drive belt. A generator drive belt. A generator complete with pulley assy. A bracket to hold the generator. A voltage regulator. An additional wiring harness. Plus other items. The cost would be prohibitive to say the least!

Joe
"

Back