Logo

Gasoil mixture

ferree00

"Hello, does anyone know the c

"Hello, does anyone know the correct oil/to gas mixture for a 1980 25 horse evinrude boat motor, and also i bought the boat from my brother , he said he forgot to add the oil to the gas when he stored it last year, he just put in the stabil, he said he thinks he added four gallons and said to just go a little heavy to be save when adding the oil???? any help would be appreciated, thanks"

I've just had to do a calc

I've just had to do a calculated guess yesterday with my 1993 150hp and went for 50:1 also! just hoping someone can confirm that too!

"AFAIK pretty much ANY 2-cycle

"AFAIK pretty much ANY 2-cycle engine will run fine on 50:1 ratio... Some much older engines spec'd higher ratios of oil (i.e. 24:1) but I believe the reason for that is because at the time there wasn't any "good" 2-cycle oil available... Most used standard 30W oil, etc...

In truth, I believe the "ratio" of oil/fuel really depends much more on the OIL than the engine... Which makes perfect sense if you think about it... Why would one engine require MORE oil than another??? It's either going to lubricate the internals or not... ;)"

I just tried the 24-1 ratio in

I just tried the 24-1 ratio in my old 1954 Evinrude. Way too rich on oil - that convincned me to change to 50-1.

Older British Seagull engines

Older British Seagull engines called for a 10 to 1 ratio...The piston clearances were such that at leaner ratios they would not have enough compression to run. Some of the older omc's from the 50's will run on 50 to 1 but I believe that some of the smaller motors do not have the roller bearings in all locations and could be damaged at 50 to 1.

"In truth, I believe the "

"In truth, I believe the "ratio" of oil/fuel really depends much more on the OIL than the engine... Which makes perfect sense if you think about it... Why would one engine require MORE oil than another??? It's either going to lubricate the internals or not... ;)

Not true!
If this was true all 2 strokes would use the same mix. Some require more oil because they were designed that way. Some outboards will run on as little as 100:1, because they were made to.
Just because there are some engines that will run at 100:1 doesn't mean every 2 stroke can live at that lean mixture."

"Okay this may be a stupid que

"Okay this may be a stupid question but its one i need to ask, 50-1 means exactly what? 5 ounces of oil for every gallon? ive never had a two stroke!"

It is the ratio to Fuel/oil.

It is the ratio to Fuel/oil. 50 parts fuel/1 part oil. Most 2 cycle containers have a mixing lable on them to tell you how many ounces to add to a gallon of gas. Nowdays you can buy the little bottles that are the correct amount for a gallon of gas. Even larger bottles for a greater mox.

"Guest: Not true!
If this wa

"Guest: Not true!
If this was true all 2 strokes would use the same mix. Some require more oil because they were designed that way. Some outboards will run on as little as 100:1, because they were made to.
Just because there are some engines that will run at 100:1 doesn't mean every 2 stroke can live at that lean mixture.

-----

Fail... Most of the motors that spec 100:1 offer advanced designs that direct inject mixture into specific places so that argument logic is flawed... No need to debate something that's been discussed time and time again by far more knowledgable people than either of us... Do a google search and you'll find lots of into..."

"So much second guessing of th

"So much second guessing of the recommendations of the guys who designed and built these motors.

Just about every outboard out there, built from the mid-60's on, that is water cooled and runs on mixed gas should be mixed at 50:1 with regular unleaded and TCW3 rated Marine 2 stroke oil.

Older engines had neither the bearing design nor quality (in most cases) to run at that ratio, that's why there are 24:1, 16:1, 40:1 recommendations from those builders for their particular motors.

TCW3 Marine oil completely burns up at a lower tempurature compared to other oils. It is designed to burn as completely as possible in a water cooled motor, minimizing (however badly) it's affect on the environment among other things.

You shouldn't run TCW3 in air-cooled outboards because they run "hotter" and the oil would burn up before all it's protective use has done it's job. That's why they call for 30 weight oil, or now, modern 2 stroke oil such as used in lawnmowers and chainsaws.

Yes, Yamaha has been successful in producing a powerhead that will run fine on 100:1 mix. Omc thought they had it, but after two years issued a bulletin stating that all motors rated for 100:1 should instead run 50:1 unless they met an unrealistic set of conditions.

The mix rate on more modern engines is variable, but that has more to do with advances in the delivery system. The VRO was designed to mix at varied rates, less oil at idle, more at higher rpms.

Could you put that system on an earlier model - sure you could. 80:1 is fine in a 1969 motor as long as it does nothing more than idle.

Unfortunately since they were not equipped with a varible oiler I guess you could carry two tanks of gas mixed differently - one for idle and then switch when you wanted to open her up, mixed at 50:1.

EFI and DFI engines inject their oil right at the intake. The EFI (premixes) just before the lower crankcase and in the case of the DFI, the gas/oil never mix at all.

Using a computer to control the oil system, builders now have built engines that can run on a (mix) of as little as 400:1 at idle (Merc Optimax specs).

Again though, that has significantly more to do with the precision of the delivery system and the ability to get the oil where it's needed, than the quality of the oil, although to be fair, they do require oil refined for direct injected engines.

So you can accept the hype of certain oil brands that claim you can do this or that, but personally, I am going to follow the directions from the guys who built my engines.

And if they say 50:1, that's what I'm mixing at and I don't care if I'm using dino-oil, semi or fully sythetic or some snake oil brand that was refined using future technology...."

"Great post Graham, it is too

"Great post Graham, it is too easy and too simple, guys run 50:1 on anything newer than a 1969...
50:1 means 50 liters of gas for every 1 liter of oil...

2% oil for every gallon of gas you mix

ie. 50 gallons of gas to 1 gallon of oil...

Just multiply 50 times 2%... that is 1 that is where 50:1 comes from the 2%"

Back