Logo

FWC spacer block

rich_p

Regular Contributor
"454's of about '87 vi

"454's of about '87 vintage. On my current setup I have going from front to back: manifold- FWC spacer block-8"riser-elbow-exhaust hose. Looking at a diagram that came with the gaskete kit (http://marineengineparts.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/media/PDF_FILES/crusadergask etchart.pdf) there is a setup that has fresh water running through the riser as well. Is this an upgrade in an attempt to get more life out of the risers or is it better to keep the original setup?"

"Rich:

If you have enough h

"Rich:

If you have enough heat exhanger, then running fresh water theru the riser will help it last.

That said, I would NOT reroute a riser that had sea water in it and put it in the FWC loop.

I sent Al that same pdf file a couple days ago and can;t say I paid attention to the different schemes for plumbing. He asked about eliminating the adapter blocks. My thoughts say if it was there when it left the factory, there has to be a need for it - otherwise, they wouldn't have spent the money."

"on the "spacer blocks&#34

"on the "spacer blocks" also called "donuts": I successfully removed all 4 of my spacer blocks (twins) when I replaced my manifolds/risers last time. Very old manifolds (~70's vintage)were not tapped for the FWC output hose, unlike newer versions. Moving the coolant hose to the manifold works, although realize that the raw water hose is an inch too short now, and the actual exhaust hose will also be similarly affected. Overall, a cleaner install, and you get rid of those long riser bolts."

"I did exactly what the charts

"I did exactly what the charts Mark sent me said to do as did he. I was using the wrong gaskets and eliminating a return flow for coolant. I do seem to think that LOGICALLY ( which is about 50/50 correct at times ) that I could eliminate the water adapters and go directly to teh tap on top of the manifold.

As I get older, I seem to have less bulldog determination... Right now, it seems to be working well."

Back