Logo

Fwc 440

bushwood

Contributing Member
I'm redoing my FWC exhaust on my 440s and want to do it right the first time. In reading through past posts, I want to make sure I understand the burping concept.

Once everything is reattached and I've refilled the system with antifreeze, I run the engine with expansion tank cap off. Engine will come up to temp and I 'want' antifreeze to burp over and onto engine because this is the air being burped from the system? The thermostat will open and the overflowing will stop and actually show me with a low coolant level. Pour more AF in until full which will displace the remaining air.

Does this sound correct? I had done this but shut engine down once AF was overflowing and then poured more in but I am wondering if I didn't allow it to pour out long enough because it did not stop overflowing on its own. Am I getting all of the air out? I guess I was more worried about making another mess in my bilge but the more I read, perhaps that is what I need to do?

Thoughts?

It's neater to warm the motor with the coolant level fairly low, adding coolant as the motor warms up. And don't add pure antifreeze: Mix it up beforehand with water in a 50/ 50 mix.

Jeff

Back