Logo

Fuel Safety Issue A near Hit

biltong

"what an irony talking about f

"what an irony talking about fuel safety issues including LPG in a previous posting. Went fishing yesterday and there was a strong smell of petrol on the boat, strangely strongest at the LH front seat which made no sence at all.

Kept the blower on most of the time, re-fueled on the way home and when I was putting the cover on the smell was just so strong.

I investigated futher to find the fuel gauge seal at the top of the tank was oosing fuel out.

Opened the bilge drain plug and got 3 litres of fuel out, with 1 litre of saltwater. Tightened up the 8 5/8" nuts and problem gone.

I doubt the 2 lb fire extinguisher would have been very effective had she sparked!!!!!!!!!!

Only had the boat 3 weeks, so thought the smell was just from the carbs. Lucky call as I always refuel after a day out.

Previous owner must have had the same problem unless he never refueled fully, so if you don't usually, may be worth filling up and checking for leaks while its on your mind!!!!!!!!

Check yours today?"

"Had the same problem with min

"Had the same problem with mine when topping off the tanks for the winter haul out--but I didn't run the boat until the gas detector stopped going off. (Great safety device I won't ever be without.) Common sense and some investigation revealed the leaking gas gage gasket and, like you, a wrench twirl or two cured the problem.

You've learned not to ignore gas fumes, right?

Jeff"

Back