Logo

Fuel pump problems

TonyG

Hey guys, well another challenge.....Who da thunk it. Was running at no wake speed in the bay and noticed my Floscan meter jumped and the motor started to run a little rough. thought I was running out of gas (has never happened before) but after switching to aux tank with no change and then hearing some odd sounds figured something else was going wrong. Took on some fuel anyway no change. Motor runs rough but will start, air and some fuel at the fuel rail, wont rev in idle, spits and labors. Leaning towards the fuel pump.my dealer says replace both high and low pressure pumps $800.00 WOW. Am I heading in the right direction? Engine is a 2007 5.7 GXI with a DPS drive in a 24' Grady.

Last edited:
Start with the easy stuff first, change the fuel filter. My engine did exactly that and it turned out to be that the water separator part of the filter was overloaded. When I pull my old fuel filters, I dump the contents into a wide mouthed 1 or 2 qt jar ( dockside, not on board!) and let it settle for about 10 mins. This is a good indication of fuel quality in tank. I've seen water and one time about 1/2t of sand ( on a new filter with only 40 gal run thru it!)

Last edited:
Yeah sorry for the delayed response......But I failed to mentioned that 3 weeks prior to this event I changed the fuel filter and poured the contents into a clear bottle to check for debris and water.......small amount of debris and no separation...I still have the sample.

Just an update.......This one is all set, it was the fuel pump. I bought the kit which has both the high pressure and the low pressure pump. $800.00 and done the road I go. Easy in and out about 20 mins.

Back