Logo

fuel pump part # for b69 318 225hp

deflipo

"hey everybody, i have a 1969

"hey everybody, i have a 1969 Century Resorter with a 318 225hp in it. The boat sat for a couple of years before i got it so i have been dealing with some issues lately due to neglect, one of those problems is fuel in my oil supply. I am pretty sure its the fuel pump and i have an old Napa marine catalog but i am still unsure as to what the correct part number for it is. The pump they have listed for that year has a clock position that does not seem to match whats on the boat. Any suggestions/comments?"

"Nick, you might look at [url=

"Nick, you might look at www.go2marine.com. I have a 67 318, 235 HP and just replaced the pump with a AC 18-7254 marine pump which has the vent line from the pump back to the carb. Price was about $50.00 plus shipping. I believe it would be the same pump for your motor."

"Nick:
I have owned 6 Chrysle

"Nick:
I have owned 6 Chrysler inboard v8 marine engines over the past 35 years and 5 out of the 6 fuel pumps have failed. I already have the replacement for the 6th.

As you probably know, the fuel may be leaking from a failed diaphragm in the fuel pump into the crank case through the passage to the eccentric lobe that drives the pump. Resist the urge to replace it with an automotive fuel pump. They have a weep hole that is designed to allow the leaking gas to drip onto the pavement. If you used one, the drip would be into your bilge. Make sure the replacement pump is a new marine pump with a vent line that is properly routed to the inside of the flame arrestor on the carb. Even a "new old stock" would NOT be OK to use. It has rubber membranes that will deteriorate rapidly with today's fuel additives. When this replacement eventually fails (and it wil) you want the leaking fuel to be burned in the cylinders not as a fireball."

"thats what ive heard from a f

"thats what ive heard from a few sources, i will definately order marine pump. i have a napa marine catalog, it is just not very thorough as far as identifying the part. i really appreciate everybodys input!"

"ok screw the link...

<[i

"ok screw the link...

171297.jpg
"

"This picture clearly shows th

"This picture clearly shows the diaphragm where the screws hold the two halves together. When that diaphragm starts to fail, the pump will continue to feed the carb but will also leak fuel into the crank case. In the olden days they used to sell rebuild kits containing replacement rubber diaphragms, but they are no longer available or advisable. The folks at MarineEngine.com should be able to help you find the right replacement pump."

"jb I had a similar problem 2

"jb I had a similar problem 2 yrs ago. I also have a 69 lm318 225hp. you really need to upgrade the fuel pump. If you go to www.marinepartssource.com you will find the pump you need with the over flow tube which simply allows fuel to bypass the diaphram and dump directly into the carb. if the pump fails. they no longer carry the old style pump. uscg regs requires that you use the newer pump. 1-866-388-0390 is the number for marine parts source, if you need chrysler parts they are excellent and have really cheap prices. but check out the online catalog and you will find that updated pump. Hope this helps ya out."

"JB, forgot to tell ya, marine

"JB, forgot to tell ya, marine partrs source also has an electric pump you can use. But i recommend the manual pump for better reliability and longer life."

"i just double checked my pump

"i just double checked my pumps. i do have the marine ones, so, i should be good
biggrin.gif
"

Back