Logo

Fuel pump emergency S AQ125B

jamie392

Contributing Member
"I have a big trip planned tom

"I have a big trip planned tomorrow with the boat. I was fixing all the problems for it and as per EP's suggestion I switched back to the manual fuel pump.

I bought a new VP one and installed it and it won't pump any fuel. Is there anything special I need to do???? I unplugged the inlet fuel line and manually pumped fuel fine, so there is gas, the pickup tube is ok and there is no obstructions there.... what else could be causing this???

Thanks a lot.... This is a big of an emergency"

"Damn it, I don't have tha

"Damn it, I don't have that spacer... I will have to try to track one down and I can't seem to find on local. How thick is that spacer? I wonder if there is something else I could use, like a thicker gasket?"

"Sorry, I don't have one a

"Sorry, I don't have one around, but my guess is 1/4" to 3/8". Perhaps another forum member has one around and can measure it and post here the right answer? Also, anyone with a 4 cylinder VP engine should be able to measure it in situ with a vernier caliper. A gasket will definitely not work (a few of them together may do the job on a temporary basis)."

"this is just awful.... The ar

"this is just awful.... The arm broke as you suspected. Brand new pump and worse yet I can't figure if there are parts in the engine or not. The appears to be intact but there is no resistance to its movement therefore maybe the inside end of it broke... I just am going to have a break down haha, I have a trip planned with 15 people up to a local lake for the weekend. Everything is all prepared and planned for awhile and my boat was supposed to take 2 trips to locate everyone on a boat only access camping site........"

"Jamie, not all is lost. Worst

"Jamie, not all is lost. Worst case scenario, you could reinstall the electric pump and its inherent problems (but it will likely get you through the weekend). Best case scenario, you could get another fuel pump tomorrow and hopefully someone will in the meantime post here the thickness of the spacer. Once you know that dimension, you should be able to either fabricate a spacer or get a few gaskets installed until you get a proper spacer.

Unfortunately, you are not the first one having this problem. It seems that some people go from mechanical to electrical and remove the spacer to blank the hole, then they go back to mechanical and forget to reinstall it."

Ya the previous owner did this

Ya the previous owner did this.... I had no clue it needed a spacer. I will re-hook the electric pump and try to get it going. What I am worried about is the small peice at the end that likely broke off!!!!

I assume it will probably fall straight into the oil sump and not cause much problems????? Or maybe it will get caught somewhere nasty and cause lots of problems

"It has been a long time since

"It has been a long time since I opened one of these engines, but I believe that the missing bit should fall into the oil pan, in which case it should not do any harm once it is there. One thing you can try to do is take a peek inside the opening in the block for the fuel pump and see if it connects with the crankcase. If so, the missing bit should be by now in the oil pan.

If you are worried about it being inside the engine, you could attempt to "fish" it with a magnetic flex pickup tool from the opening for the pump, or even drain the oil by removing the drain plug in the oil pan an see if it comes out or if you can reach it from there."

"good news. I found the piece

"good news. I found the piece that broke in the bilge, so A) my oil pan has a huge magic hole in it, or B) it fell out when i pulled out the broken pump
First good news of the day, although i wasted 100 bucks on a VP fuel pump and broke it
"

"I know but no one had it loca

"I know but no one had it local and I wanted it for this weekend. You suggested that sierra one previously and I will order it for next time. I just figured i would spend a bit more to get the pump for the weekend, but that money was just down the tubes :D"

Back