Logo

Fuel pump deliver problemplease help

joho5

"1989 Evinrude 70hp

Ok, I b

"1989 Evinrude 70hp

Ok, I bought this boat used about half a year ago. Ran good right at first, but then it started acting funny at WOT, it would run good very inconsistently, but always fine at idle all the way to about 70-80% or so of the throttle.

Then one trip after that, it wouldnt keep the bowls full...if I opened it up, it would die when the fuel was run out of the bowls...and the bulb would be soft and allow to fill them back up. It would then start right back up and do the same thing.

I pulled the VRO pump (which at the time was only used for a fuel pump), the oil side had been blocked long ago, and put a regular premix pump on from an 83 model 70hp. I bought it new though.

The day I bought that one, it looked like it has been sitting at the shop for years because the box was yellow aged and the fuel pump gasksets that hang out a little from the housing were hardened. Its the only one they had so I said oh well.

Put that on, and the motor ran like a champ when I took it out next and probably for the next 10 trips...no problems.

Well about a week ago, it started having the same symptoms as the earlier pump did, it wouldnt be able to provide enough gas for WOT...it would start to bog, but ran fine at idle all the way to about 70-80% of throttle. If my dad would sit back there and pump the bulb, we could run fine.

So I just thought it wore out since it was old when I bought it...I bought a new pump repair kit, BRP OEM replacement kit and rebuilt it.

Took it out just now and it still wont pump gas enough to run...I can run the engine until the bowls are empty and then it dies. It will idle forever, but when I put it in gear and go, the fuel pump isnt performing properly.

I dont know what to do...these pumps are pretty easy to rebuild, I will pull it back apart and recheck, but they are pretty straght forward on how they are put back together.

is there a way to check the pump with air or something to see if its performing right?

I know when I pump my bulb and that little plastic stem that works with the top spring on the pump stays in...when I pump the bulb, it comes out the back, but then goes back it. Is it supposed to be moving in unison?"

I would recommend taking a loo

I would recommend taking a look at your fuel lines this ethanol gas eats them up unless they are alch. restiant

"Just replaced all of them. T

"Just replaced all of them. They are all new type fuel lines and clamped..I plumbed it well.

I am thinking a bad bulb, i got a new one, we will see."

Back