Logo

Fuel in oil

planeguy

"<font color=""0000ff"">Just r

"<font color=""0000ff"">Just received my annual oil sample analysis for my 1985 Crusader 270 engines. The report noted fuel at 2.3% in one engine and 2.8% in the other. They also noted this to be possibly due to low rpm idling/trolling and should not be a problem. What causes fuel to get into the oil and is it a problem? The engines seem to run great!</font>"

If your carburators are fitted

If your carburators are fitted with choke pulloffs they might be worn out. The pulloffs are vacuum operated. Seems like they develop a leak in the diaphram after 6 to 8 years.

"Thanks Eddie, would this also

"Thanks Eddie, would this also cause hard starting on the first start of the day? Seems I have to "pump" the throttles several times when starting the first time of the day. Thanks."

How old are the spark plug wir

How old are the spark plug wires? How well maintained are the distributor caps and rotors?

The spark plug wires and plugs

The spark plug wires and plugs were changed in 2005 when I had it converted to electronic ignition. The entire distributors were changed during this conversion. Thanks.

Are both engines hard to start

Are both engines hard to start when cold?

Just the initial start of the

Just the initial start of the weekend especially if the boat has sat for a week or so. After that the boat will start within a turn or two of the engines.

"If your rubber fuel lines are

"If your rubber fuel lines are old ( over 5 years ) you might want to replace them. Always use USCG approved fuel line on marine engines. When engine has been sitting, stroke throttle about three times, from idle to full trottle and back, gentling but deliberately before hitting the starter. If it does not start soon after turning the key after that then stroke again once every three seconds while cranking until it starts. Note: each stroke to full throttle and back causes the accelerator pump to squirt an extra shot of gasoline into the intake manifold enriching the mixture. There is no need to push trottle hard or jerky. Smooth easy strokes are best."

Back