Logo

Fuel Gauge problem

Hi all,

I have a fuel gauge that has stopped reading the fuel level. It's permanently stuck on 'E'. Before I start tearing the wiring apart, I was hoping for some advice on where to look, and how the level is measured by the sender and gauge.

I recently installed a new aluminium floor over my tank and there is a chance the sender is being shorted.

Any advice on where to start would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Donald
New Zealand

the way it works is this...you have 12v on one side of the gauge..the sendor consists of a resistor that one side is connected to ground and the other to the gauge...as the fuel goes down in the tank the resistor has more resistance and the gauge move lower...
fuel gauge wiring.jpg

i hope you installed a service port in the new floor so you cab get to the sender..or you can remove the floor above the tank..i would check two things..make sure you didnt blow a fuse and have 12v on the gauge....and check the sender wire going back to the tank to make sure you didnt pinch it and cut it or somehow caused an open...the best way to check that is with a multi meter ....you should read some resistance to ground but you should read something...not a complete open..
to check the meter itself hook 12 volts to it and quickly touch the sender terminal to ground...do not leave the meter hooked up like that..just quickly touch it and see if the gauge pegs..the reason for the quick touch is i have saw gauges go to the peg position and stick there permanently..

Papyson is right about the floor; need access. Ground the pink wire...if the gauge pegs at full the sender is bad. If it does not move at all the pink circuit could be open or the gauge is bad.

Back