Logo

Fuel consumtion 235

dan606

Does anyone have a guess as to

Does anyone have a guess as to what would be the usual gallon per hour fuel consumtion for a 1982 235 evenrude OB running at 3500 rpm?
Dan

"Might be difficult, it depend

"Might be difficult, it depends on boat, speed, load etc. But roughly You should be able to get 3-3,5 N. Mile/gal. If You run 30 knots, should give something in the area of 10Gal."

I will tell you that engine wi

I will tell you that engine will run threw 24gals of gas in an hour at 5800rpm. I had to sell boat because I don't understand anything but wide f---ing open!!!!! CARB motors waste it E-TEC is the only way to go!!!!!

"'Just looking in' - t

"'Just looking in' - time to look out:
Had You put on the right prop,You would probably have knocked off 10-15% of Your top end consumption!
E-Techs and similar has their greatest fual saving up to around 50% of max rated compared to the 'old' carbed engines. At top end, it is next to nothing if You compare consumption/N mile which is more correct when referring to top end speed. Consumption/hour is usefull for trolling and low end (off plane) cruising. Have a look at the recent '175 Ficht consumption' thread.
What is a bit interesting, is to read out the 'logs' of the Fichts/E-Techs. Even people that think they only drive at full speed, hardly have more than 20-30% running time above 70%!"

"As a rule of thumb all outboa

"As a rule of thumb all outboards burn 10% of their horsepower rating in fuel at wide open throttle. 25 pitch renegade on 1986 19' Procraft just me 5800rpm, loaded, two people 5500 tag said 235hp at 5250rpm. What would be the right prop? The fuel usage on 150HO E-Tec is 15.10GPH at 5585rpm on Stratos 285XL and 21.24GPH on 225HO at 5800rpm on Bullet 20xldc at 85.5mph and 6.94GPH on a 75hp at 5425rpm, none of these are great at W.O.T. and you are correct most don't run above mid throttle but the E-Tecs are better on fuel than carb engines."

"If Your boat did some 65 knot

"If Your boat did some 65 knots at wot with the Renegade, You may have been close, but still too far off max rated rpm hp, if following the rating and rule. I do not have all the datas on the old 235, but going 10% up from max rated rpm, encreases Your consumption with close to 10% and You loose almost 10% of the engine power!
Personally I never recomended and used the Renegades as I found them extreemely poor in general consumption. Worked on light boats at high speed, but for general use 'expencive'to run.
Normally I used the 'old' type Viper or Rakers for those after the top end speed up to around 50+ knots, and in a couple of cases Shooters.
My daughters used to sell ice cream on beaches and islands using 5 and 5,5m ribs. I had the boats equipped with every thing from 35 to 70 hp 2-strokes, 4-strokes and E-tech. Whatever 2-stroke I used their average daily consumption was 30Liters+ no matter engine size. For the 4 strokes and E-Tecs the consumption was 20+ liters. So for ombined use there is no doubt that the E-techs/4-strokes are fuel savers. But note that the E-tech 50 almost had the same top end speed as the 70 4-stroke and I could drive in circles around the 70 4-stroke with the 70 2-stroke! But this has all to do with boat type, ballance etc. In another case with a quite heavy 20ft daycruiser I replaced a 90 2-stroke with a 70 4-stroke, His top en dropped from 28 to 25 knots (gps), but his average consumption on a day trip dropped 50%! It is a lot of 'thumb rules', but some thumbs are rather small, some are big and thick! "Factory tests' may be used as a rough indicator, but they are only valied for that specific boat, at that day, under the circumstances during the test, at the specific rpm for the specific engine with the specific prop ...........!"

Back