Logo

fuel burn

new member here.
Question about fuel burn on my 2004 115 2 stroke. I am only getting 1.25 mpg. Something is drasticly wrong. Any ideas?

Need to know more about the boat, loads etc to give a real answer, BUT those Yam 115 2 strokes are unfortunately reasonably well known for being excessively thirsty. Many boats with the 115's on them may actually get better economy with a 150 instead. Common things you can check however to maybe improve mileage are - engine height, prop selection, fuel pumps. All of these are in the list of things that can commonly cause poor mileage on that engine.

Thanks Aliboy
Boat is a 2004 Maverick MA. It came with a 4 blade prop. Engine is mounted second hole from top. I am having fuel pump changed this month. Previous owner never changed it. Mechanic is gonna tune carbs when he does fuel pump. Thanks for the reply. I will let u know the outcome.

that motor is going to burn 11.5 gallons per hour in new condition at wot...how long did it take you to go the 1.5 miles and was it at wot?...

Have a look through this thread from another forum I moderate in New Zealand. In there somewhere there should be a bunch of information about the Yamaha SWS 115 2 stroke fuel economy on a number of boats for you to compare with. I think there is a bunch of 115 comments in the later pages of that thread. One thing I forget to ask though is whether your engine is injected or carb'd? The engines in the forum I moderate are all carb'd engines.

Our forum is all in metric, so for your conversions use 1 usgallon = 3.75litres, 1.6 kilometer (km) = 1 mile, 1 meter (m) = 3.28 feet. Most of the boats mentioned have medium V to deep(ish) V hulls and are 'average' or a little light in weight for their length. The aluminium (alloy or 'tinny') boats are a little lighter than the fibreglass boats in that size range. From memory I, and others, have posted a bunch of 'tuning' guides for trying to get your engine setup right so have a good read through all the 14 pages if you can.

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/fuel-flow-and-economy-figures_topic26102_page13.html

Thank u very much Ali. Will start reading. Motor is carb. What i did notice today while out was that my guage is off. Not reading as it should be. So maybe thats it. I will let u know. Thanks for the concern

Back