Logo

Force 1984 85hp Carb Issues (Information)

madmatt62

I am posting this for informational purposes only.

I own a 1984 Bayliner with an 85hp Force.

This spring I had the same problem a lot of people seem to be experiencing in that the motor started and idled properly but had no power at high RPM.

After changing everything (plugs, fuel lines, primer bulb, fuel pump, head gasket, etc.) and getting the carbs cleaned with no results we looked deeper.

It turns out that this particular carb had the neoprene seat and needle assemblies. The ethanol in the fuel I was using had swelled the seats to the point that the engine was starving for fuel.

I was unable to find replacement seats and different carbs were impossible to source.

What we ended up doing is getting a custom tap manufactured and then my tech drilled out and tapped the seat holes. He then replaced them with the brass seat and needle assemblies that are most common on this size of motor.

The end result is that my engine runs absolutely perfectly, I'm getting a top end of 55kmh (10kmh higher than previously) and the engine is smoking way less than it ever has.

I'm not sure if this is information that will assist anyone else but if you have neoprene seats in your carb (mine were green and easy to spot) you may want to consider changing them out.

Back