Logo

Follow up to 175hp running hot

backbays

As a courtesy to all who assisted me or who may have a similar problem and wondered if I ever found a resolve I am posting this thread. My '96 175hp two stroke Mercury was running hot (no alarm). My prior post in June of 16 will detail it. Ultimately I ran the motor in a large tub of vinegar and water, let it sit overnight, ran it again the next day, and then ran it in fresh water with Cascade dish washing detergent. I gave it a final rinse with the muffs on the hose. I did find that when I had installed the new impeller kit in the spring I used the wrong top gasket and it separated a bit by a stud but with the new one there was no difference at the tell tale. I also put a line of silicone on that metal plate bridge next to the impeller housing (read somewhere that it might helped someone). Bottom line is the motor runs great now. Kudos to the gentleman who posted this treatment on THT forum. Wish I had done it prior to my spring launch. Hoping this is helpful.

Thank you johnnygir for your advice. This was clearly a duh-duh move. The proper gasket from the set has much more material on it but I will use the sealant in the future. My personal rant is when someone runs a thread with no follow up should they come to a solution. It's like leaving the last ten pages out of a mystery novel!!!

Gasket sealer is highly recommended on most water pumps installs nowadays
Maybe on other MFG's but not on a Merc/Mercruiser, the only place a Merc/Mercruiser states to us it is on exhaust deflector on Alpha drive...

Back