Logo

Flywheel pulling problem

"1990 Evinrude 70HP, I need to

"1990 Evinrude 70HP, I need to remove the flywheel. I thought I was good to go but I've encountered problems. The nut has been removed, 5/16" Grade 5 fine thread bolts used in the factory holes and a triangular puller (was brand new) with an air gun and I figured away we go, no. The thing is on there tight. The puller failed (split) the triangular base where the 1/2 threaded shaft goes through. Any hits or tips on how to get it off? Is it safe to use a torch or would that possibly hurt the stator? Please help!
Thanks, Jeff"

"I just tap the middle bolt wi

"I just tap the middle bolt with a plastic headed mallet. Tighten screw...tap...tighten screw...tap...tighten screw...tap...etc...

The tiny jolt will break loose the Morse Taper connection. If you choose to use an impact, only tighten so tight, then reverse it, give it a few raps on the pawls in both directions til it breaks loose."

"Visit your local dealer---- w

"Visit your local dealer---- with the proper tools they will remove the flywheel in seconds --- torch ????? forget it ,it is not needed."

"Thanks, The tap and tighten &

"Thanks, The tap and tighten (also soaked it with WD-40) (with air gun) worked, I'm back to continuing on with my project.

Jeff"

Back