Logo

flushing with white vinegar

shagerfs

After purchasing my 07 bf150 it only has 121 hrs on it did the usual filters stats etc , the stats were so crusty i had to get a knife to get them out runs fine as wondering seems like flushing in a trashcan can be a pain in the a-- process so wondering if i pull the thermostat cover and pour a couple of gall through the block and let set for a few hrs and then flush would i be doing any good or a worthless effort! Thanks

After purchasing my 07 bf150 it only has 121 hrs on it did the usual filters stats etc , the stats were so crusty i had to get a knife to get them out runs fine as wondering seems like flushing in a trashcan can be a pain in the a-- process so wondering if i pull the thermostat cover and pour a couple of gall through the block and let set for a few hrs and then flush would i be doing any good or a worthless effort! Thanks

I recommend pulling the lower unit to do it as a backflush, as I do not know how you would plug the motor to "soak" the vinegar. I did this last week on my 150 (posted here) and was able to get quite a bit out. I used an aquarium pump, and cycled straight vinegar for almost an hour.

I had a crusty motor as well with very low hours. Check your hose flush attachment (yes, disassemble and clean), pressure relief valve, and water hoses in and out of your VST. Crud accumulating their may block your tell tale.

how does that work do you attach a hose to the water inlet tube and pump the vinegar through the tube with a bucket or what, what kind of pump? Thanks

how does that work do you attach a hose to the water inlet tube and pump the vinegar through the tube with a bucket or what, what kind of pump? Thanks

I dropped the lower unit, and placed a bucket with a gallon of vinegar underneath the pickup tube. I then disconnected the tstat housing up top, and pumped the vinegar with a separate hose up to the tstat housing. Vinegar eventually drained out the water pickup tube above the bucket. I alternated between the block and head passages (half hour each). The next time I do my impeller, I plan on doing a longer period of time to see how effective saltaway has been (just started).

Back