Logo

Flushing out buldup in outboard water cooling

n0reaster

New member
Does salt build-up in a outboa

Does salt build-up in a outboard cooling system? It there a substance or solution that can be used to help get it out?
 
"sure.........do a search,..sa

"sure.........do a search,..salt away etc etc...are they good.who knows..........but nothing beats a good 20 min douche w/good cln water."
 
"JWB, When I recently changed

"JWB, When I recently changed out my water pump, I found a lot of white powdery adhesion to the aluminum parts in the foot casting. Could this be what David is seeing, alum oxide rather than salt? Mine is used in saltwater and I religously hose wash mine, even squirt a few tablespoons of Dawn in the water hose before connecting to the muff and I still had the powder.
Will saltaway prevent the oxide formation?
Thanks, Mike"
 
"i do have a saltwater bay boa

"i do have a saltwater bay boat,..the only thing i do,is a wasdown before i leave the coast,then,when back,i run the eng for around 15 min....next day i hose down the whole rig again...just my ways...
now,..the salwawy products,..i would guess are good,i just dont use them.....what he is seeing ,i dont know...could be both....the worst thing that can happen on salt water eng;s,is to pull it out,and park it.."
 
"Tell me about the use of Dawn

"Tell me about the use of Dawn in flushing out the cooling system, never heard of it.
Thanks!!!"
 
"Salt away cost too much - I u

"Salt away cost too much - I use plain white vinegar - about a buck a gallon - nice low acid content dissolves all the cooties and you can use the leftover on your french fries


But I am serious about the white vinegar - in smaller motors that have been neglected, I stand them upside down, pull the thermostat and pour in as much vinegar as they can take - leave 24 hours and it dissolves all the crud..."
 
"Pops,

I give a good squirt


"Pops,

I give a good squirt down the hose at the fawcet end and then connect everything up to the muff and start the water and the engine and watch the suds.

Graham,
How do you administer the vinegar to a big engine?

Mike"
 
"Large engine just have to get

"Large engine just have to get a bit more inventive - tilt it up as far as you can (near vertical) - if it's really nasty inside the water jackets (as apparent by looking inside through the thermostat holes) I have even removed the lower unit and plugged up the water tube to stop it from flowing back (and stop air from getting in) and then filling the waterjacket with vinegar.

Some will still slowly leak out, but slowly enough that you keep most of it in the head since it can no longer drain back through the water tube (which is now at the lowest point on the head when tilted and is plugged)"
 
Back
Top