Logo

First time out with the new to me boat 1972 120

fishfool

Member
We finally got out yesterday with the boat 1972 Starcraft and mercruiser 120 the only serial # I can find, is on the out drive. #3214940. I did a complete tuneup and carb rebuild, new fuel tank, remote water/seperator fuel filter, and some rewiring. The motor runs great and the boat is fun to drive. I have to address a prop problem in that section. When we pulled the boat out of the water I pulled the plug and found a gallon or so of water came out, so when I got home I put the plug in and added water to the bildge to find the leak, I found small leaks across the rear seam of the boat, and a very small amount of water came out of the shift bellows. I know I will have to replace all the bellows but would like to use the boat three or four more times this summer. It dosen't sit in the water over night but trailered. Will I do any more damage if I run it the rest of the season? Can anyone give me a list of all the parts needed to change all the bellows and which ones are the best and where to buy them?
Thanks Glen
 
Re: First time out with the new to me boat

Thanks Guyjg, I looked up what I could. Can you tell me what parts other than the all the bellows and clamps I should replace while the out drive is off ie: maintance items, gimbel bearing?
 
Re: First time out with the new to me boat

if you had water in the bearing then it's toast don't trust it. You will need a alignment bar. Check the u-joint. If you boat in saltwater, and the water got into the lower cable that cable is toast.

So what you need is a kit for all the bellows, and if you see you need a bearing, and maybe a new oem cable, just a couple more dollars but has a extra coating inside the cable buy oem for the lower cable.

This site sells all you will need they have great service, unbeatable knowledge, and stand behind what they sell. Prices are hard to beat.
 
Re: First time out with the new to me boat

Chiefalen Thanks for the reply. The boat is only fresh water and the only leak I found was a tiny drop in one spot on the shift bellows. Because of where I live I only want to do one order for parts, in a lot of cases the freight is more than the parts. So I was just wanting to make sure I order everything in one shot. is the Gimbal bearing something that should be replaced as a maintainace item?
Thanks
Glen
 
Re: First time out with the new to me boat

Check the gimbal bearing for smooth rolling w/your hand; replace if needed. Order the molded water inlet hose for the OD. Any clamps you buy have to be stainless steel. Make sure you use bellows adhesive. Follow directions in the manual. Check the U-joints for smooth turning; replace if needed. Lube the joints w/a marine grade bearing grease. Check the condition of the engine coupler female splines that the drive shaft inserts into. They are aluminum and should not be rounded off but cut the exact opposite of the drive shaft. If they are questionable you might as well replace the coupler which requires pulling the engine.
 
Back
Top