Logo

Faulty Temp sensor?

buick430

Regular Contributor
Hey Guys, So during the last three miles of a 89 mile trip to San Diego, the temperature gauge on my port engine started fluctuating from normal around 162* to pegged at 240 and back very rapidly. I immediately checked for raw water discharge and all looked fine I then lifted the engine hatch and felt the Coolant hoses going to and from the heat exchanger but were normal temp and under pressure. I limped it the final miles and shut her down. the next day, all fluids were still topped off and with just the KOEO the gauge is still moving all over. I traced the wire to the engine harness and it has no damage.

What Temp sensor should I get and where?
It is also doing this the open bridge gauges and the salon gauge.

Thanks, Will

You need a sensor designed for dual stations. You can buy it here (and please do--they deserve your patronage).

Jeff (many time customer)

PS: Another case where an infrared temp gun would have been invaluable! I never leave the slip without mine. Used it last week when Mr. Port started steaming. Shot the entire exhaust system (all under 135 ' F) and went back to enjoying the trip.

I'm ordering a new temp sender anyone remember what size the pipe threads are in the from of the manifold under the t-stat? The boat is a couple hours away and I forgot to check.

Will

Back