Logo

Fair selling price of a Johnson CD12

dochifi

New member
Hello, I'm placing a 1955 Johnson CD12 up for sale and would appreciate a more knowledgeable person suggesting a fair asking price.
I've attached a few photos.
I was told this was in running condition before it given to me, but I have never tested it. One of the cowl clasps is missing.
Thanks
 

Attachments

  • 2019-02-02 12.25.50.jpg
    2019-02-02 12.25.50.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 86
  • 2019-02-02 12.26.59.jpg
    2019-02-02 12.26.59.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 2019-02-02 12.24.57.jpg
    2019-02-02 12.24.57.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 2019-02-02 12.25.40.jpg
    2019-02-02 12.25.40.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 79
I have seen many of these around here in Northern MN. Most are in my shop. Love these and keep them tuned up and running sweet. Sometimes at the local lake "Fish Lake", people stop by to say hi. "WOW, that is an old motor......its runs so nice." These were born when I was. They are 63 years old. I can sell a completely tuned up, in presentable appearance, with the correct pressure type tank, with a 1 year warranty, using Amsoil Saber 100:1 pre mix oil, but mixed at 64:1 and non oxy high octane fuel.......FOR........5 TO 6 HUNDRED BUCKS. Yours is far from there, but check compression and I can give you a rough number. If less than 65 psi per cylinder it is likely going to need major overhaul. But put a little mixed gas or WD40 in and try again. If it goes up to 75 or 80 psi, then it should be okay.....the rings and cylinders are dry. At this point its 150 dollar motor 200 if it has a decent fuel tank and fittings.
If the compression is low, it is worth about half that....likely to end up as scrap or parts. List it on eBay, and allow about 50 bucks for shipping. This looks original and might be attractive to a restorer. Properly tuned up, on a small fishing boat, like my 14' Lone Star, it will troll at least 6 hours on about 3 gallons of gas.
 
Last edited:
My dad bought one brand new in Ronan, Montana in 55. I was born in 57. Dads been gone 29 years but I still have the motor. However, I do not have a boat. I Just started my work to make it solid again. The plugs looked damn near new, and the lower end oil was the same. I have installed a new impeller, new spark plugs, new coils, and about to fire her up. When I looked inside the gas can, it was perfect. I have the registration, title, and owners manual. I would classify it as pristine. Just enough chips to let you know that a dad and his young son had a lot of fun with it, but she still shines. Paint is probably an 8.5. Thanks for reading!!
 
Thats cool,I have the 7520 that my grandpa bought new. My dad and grandpa fished with it as my dad and I did. Now I use it with my kids.When you tune them with a timing light they can't be stopped,literally.
 
Back
Top