Logo

Extending Battery Cables 2003 Honda BF225

I would like to move my batteries from the stern to under the console. I have a 2003 BF225 with stock battery cables. It appears there might be a 2ga. positive from the starter and a smaller positive cable from the alternator that's splice into the same lug to attach to the battery. There is also the 2ga. negative. Can I just buy the battery post that Honda sells and then extend new cables from the post? I need to extend the cables approx. 13' more. What size new cables should I buy? I know you are supposed to increase the size when you increase the length due to voltage drop right? Is there going to be a problem not changing out the size of the stock cables?

Example: 10' of 2ga stock cable, Honda battery post, then 13' of (1ga or 1/0?) new cable to the battery.

Does this look Ok and what size new cable do I need?

Thanks,
Chad

According to the Honda rigging manual, you can extend the cables as you are describing for Honda 200HP - 250HP motors up to 30ft with 4 ga stranded cables.

I assume the battery post that you are referring to is this one.
Distribution%20Studs.jpg

If so , that should work fine.

You can go to a larger cable ( like a 2 ga). If would be less voltage drop.

Mike

Thanks! This will work out good. That Honda part is exactly what I was talking about. It does kind of shock me that I can use as low as 4 ga. I wonder what the size of the stock cables are then? I think I will use 2 ga., maybe even higher. Thanks for your help.

Back