Logo

Exhaust Tube or Bellows? 1979 120

fishfool

Member
I have to replace all the bellows on my 1972 120 M/C. I have read there is either a tube or a bellows for the exhaust, which is the best way to go?
What else should I replace when I am doing the bellows?
Glen
 
Re: Exhaust Tube or Bellows?

Use the exhaust tube; only one end needs connected. Replace the water inlet hose. Replace the impeller. Consider replacing the lower shift cable.
 
Re: Exhaust Tube or Bellows?

Thanks Guyjg, another question, I am having trouble looking up the parts on the site the serial # for the out drive is 3214940 which I think makes it anearly one, the only other number I can find is on the gimbal ring 55894. Where do you find the listing for the exhaust tube and lower shift cable? I think I have the numbers for the other parts.
Thanks again Glen
 
Re: Exhaust Tube or Bellows?

Thanks again Guyjg, I went through all the sections but all I can find listed is an exhaust bellows , not a tube? What is the difference? I am finding the site a little difficult to understand. For a gimble bearing all I can find is part #30-36148 is that right? I also would likr to get a raw water pump impeller and related parts to change at the same time I am doing all this work, but can't for the life of me find lower units?

Sorry for being a pain.
Glen
 
Re: Exhaust Tube or Bellows?

Water impeller parts on this page

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr=56999&ivar=images/CRUISER/56999/15.png&inbr=1574&bnbr=70&bdesc=GEAR+HOUSING+ASSEMBLY%2C+COMPLETE

shift cable parts

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...74&bnbr=0&bdesc=TRANSOM+PLATE+AND+SHIFT+CABLE


...all I can find listed is an exhaust bellows , not a tube? What is the difference?

The bellows is connected on both ends while the tube connects on the gimbal side o y. As the OD is lowered it makes a connection w/the tube to allow exhaust out the prop. A dealer can match the proper exh. part and lower shift cable and correct gimbal bearing for you.
 
Last edited:
Re: Exhaust Tube or Bellows?

Thanks Again Guyjg, You must know this parts site very well. The closest Merc dealer to me is almost 275 miles away so I pretty much have to order everything I need.
Glen
 
Re: Exhaust Tube or Bellows?

You're welcome. Use the SNs when talking to the dealer to get the correct parts.
 
Back
Top