Logo

Exhaust elbow temperature

slow cruiser

Regular Contributor
Launched two days ago. Both engines started right up but letting them warm up the port was normal, the starboard would not come up to temperature, 140* instead of 170*. The right exhaust elbow was normally warm but the left elbow would not warm up. Tried again yesterday, same result. Any ideas?

2001 8.1 Crusaders 570 hours.

i would check the temps at various points using an IR temp gun...they are usually much more accurate than a gauge and they let you check more than one point.

I'd be inclined to check the coolant level (in the bottle) and then make sure the t-stat is opening up and the coolant is circulating...

I did check the temp at different points and checked the thermostat which is functioning. My thought is that there is an obstruction probably in one of the hoses, I will check this as it seems probable. The level in the bottle is on the full line but I will check this one further.
Thanks for the advice.

If the t-stat is functioning correctly, the engine should be at its operating temp....now if the t-stat is opening at a lower (than designed) temp, that could be the issue.

A restriction is possible but not likely. they are much more likely to induce an overheat condition due to the lack of coolant/water flow...

if the t-stat was open and the IR gun showed the t-stat was at the design temp, then I'd use the IR gun to measure at the temp sending unit...if that doesn't match the gauge (within reason), I'd suspect the temp sending unit...

I don't have a definitive answer....the only thing I can come up with is 'lack of heat' flowing into it...which would suggest the engine isn't running on all cylinders...which is a completely new problem...

I agree. I'm going down tomorrow, I'll check the exhaust manifold while its running, it has to be hot if that bank is running properly. If not there is, as you say, another problem.
Thanks, again.

I changed the plugs, both sides are running at the same temp (155, should be 165) with the temp gun. Apparently there was a misfire involved, therefore 'lack of heat'.

where, on the manifolds, are you measuring the temperatures?

same question for the elbows?

The elbows should run a bit cooler than the manifolds...and that will vary based on the raw water temp coming into the hull...should be able to put a hand on them for a count of 3 seconds...without any skin damage...the IR gun is the better tool...not as subjective...

Back