Logo

Excessive oil in test tank???

j koller

I have recently boat an '89 ranger w/ 150 johnson GT. Replaced water pump tonight and tested in tank, pumped water just fine, but the text tank had a lot of oil floating. It did smoke like a freight train but ran fine. Compression on all cylinders was 90#. Any help would be appreciated.

Not to worry. Get it out of that stupid tank and out on the lake. You will see a huge difference. Depending on where you put the oil (VRO in your case) where do you think that oil goes? It goes through the engine one time, lubricating it as it goes through. Then some of it burns (makes smoke) and the rest goes out the exhaust, into the horse trough. Good or bad, that's just the way it is, so don't fight it.

Was the motor winterized and possibly running for the first time since????

Upon further review, I called the previous owner which he said he also mixed his gas and oil as a safety precaution. So I have a full tank of 50:1 gas to burn out. Thanks, just wanted to make sure nothing crazy was going on!!
Also just wanted to let everyone know that putting the shifting rod back in after removing lower unit is a major pain in the #%~!!!!

Back