Logo

exaust steam

amantinori

Contributing Member
Had the boat out on a good long run this week. Noticed that at higher RPM 2800 and up that i was creating steam. I have new elbows risers and heat exchanger. The sea water is still cool so wasn't sure if that just the cold water mixing with warm motor. Is some steam normal?

Here in NJ this time of year, unless its a chilly morning...no. Possible worn raw water pump not pumping quite enough water... There are other ugly possibilities which involve cracked blocks, heads and blown gaskets. Who winterized the engine? Is it "fresh" or raw water cooled? Notice your profile indicates, twins... same both engines?

Last edited:
fresh water cooled, with heat exchanger. Seems to have steam on both motors.
One is a new rebuild this year. Im positive its not a cracked block. I did how ever rebuild the sea water pumps with new plastic insides, are the directional coudl i have posibally put them in upside down and the pump isnt suckig up enough water?

Yes, impellers are directional and if you bend the vanes the wrong way when you install them, you'll have "issues". Most impellers are OK if installed upside down, it's the direction of bend on the compressed vanes you need to look out for.

Back