Logo

Evinrude WOT issues

jkhash

I have a 1985 Evinrude 30hp outboard (E30ELCOA). New to me! I have rebuilt carb with OEM rebuild kit. At WOT the motor sounds limited and I can only get just above a crawl. I have also noticed a fuel/oil foam forming in the throat of carb when running WOT. The motor will idle in gear and neutral) without issue.

I have replace plugs with OEM Champs
Rebuilt carb
Replaced fuel lines
New gas tank (6 gallon Portable) with main fuel line leading to motor

Question is:
Could the nozzle gasket in fuel bowl be leaking and allowing too much air to mix and foam fuel?
Could the carb simply be out of tune?
Could fuel pump cause this?
What else could cause this?

Yes carb is wide open. Yes on spark. Plate is advancing. No to compression test.

The motor was running well and then I ran it out of gas. Put fresh gas in tank and then problems started. Changed gas again and it would not idle. Changed fuel/oil ratio to 100:1 to see if that help. It did not. Changed ratio back to 50:1 (fresh fuel). So I rebuilt the carb as mentioned before. Now I have good idle and ability to crawl across the lake. However, it has no full throttle. I am headed done to pull carb again to check nozzle gasket and clean again.

The foam is what is making me think the nozzle gasket is leaking.

my guess would be to clean the carbs again, when you run out of fuel, all the sludge, melted varnish, ect, gets sucked in. The carbs pinholes that clog easily.

Back