Logo

Evinrude VRO 40 hp Powerhead Question

thebubba

Regular Contributor
I just purchased a used powerhead off ebay for my 1993 Evinrude VRO 40 hp. When I first got the powerhead, I spun the flywheel and it seemed to be free. I let it sit in the garage for 3 weeks an installed it to find the flywheel would not turn by hand at all. I put a little oil in the cylinders and gently worked it back and forth until it freely spun by hand again without the spark plugs in. I did a compression test to see if it was damaged and I got 130 PSI on both cylinders. I am ready to install the lower unit and try to start the engine, should I be concerned about anything on this power head before I start it up? The power head came from the east coast which is lower elevation and more humid than the dry high elevation desert I live in here in Utah. Would this have affected the motor? When I do start the engine I plan to run seafoam through it to decarb the engine. Any thought?

If there was water INSIDE the engine it may have been locked up from corrosion on the bearings,-------If that was the case the damage is done.

I guess the only way to see if there was water inside and corrosion is to take it apart and look inside. Not my favorite option, but may be the smart thing to do so it doesn't throw a rod.

Back