Logo

Evinrude Ficht Mechanics South Florida

Stanisrude

Hello All,

I have been experiencing nothing but frustration trying to locate an Evinrude Ficht Mechanic here in Miami Fla. I'm now even searching Broward County and haven't had any success at this point. Even E-Tec mechanics wont touch this engine for one excuse or another. I cant imagine that this engine is that complicated that it is being abandoned by former Evinrude mechanics. One even suggested that I replace it with an older OMC motor from the 90's, really? Doesn't seem to add up to me.

Given the above, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Ficht motors and whether or not they should be replaced? FYI mine is a 2004 200hp and is in cherry condition

Alternatively, does anyone on this forum know of any mechanics here in South Florida that are capable Ficht mechanics?:confused:

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can render here.

W
Hello All,

I have been experiencing nothing but frustration trying to locate an Evinrude Ficht Mechanic here in Miami Fla. I'm now even searching Broward County and haven't had any success at this point. Even E-Tec mechanics wont touch this engine for one excuse or another. I cant imagine that this engine is that complicated that it is being abandoned by former Evinrude mechanics. One even suggested that I replace it with an older OMC motor from the 90's, really? Doesn't seem to add up to me.

Given the above, out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Ficht motors and whether or not they should be replaced? FYI mine is a 2004 200hp and is in cherry condition

Alternatively, does anyone on this forum know of any mechanics here in South Florida that are capable Ficht mechanics?:confused:

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can render here.
what issue are you experiencing?

Wwhat issue are you experiencing?

Engine has been cutting out without warning and while running smoothly. Have changed fuel water separator, fuel filter, and primer bulb (which wasn’t getting as hard as it should). Plugs look good and this was confirmed by the mechanic who is getting out of the business and looked at it reluctantly. He charges me every time he comes by. By his own admission mine is the cleanest looking engine of its age he’s ever seen. It looks new inside with no corrosion. If this helps I’ve been getting oil in my bilge. I don’t know if there is an oil starvation issue taking place.

Engine has been cutting out without warning and while running smoothly. Have changed fuel water separator, fuel filter, and primer bulb (which wasn’t getting as hard as it should). Plugs look good and this was confirmed by the mechanic who is getting out of the business and looked at it reluctantly. He charges me every time he comes by. By his own admission mine is the cleanest looking engine of its age he’s ever seen. It looks new inside with no corrosion. If this helps I’ve been getting oil in my bilge. I don’t know if there is an oil starvation issue taking place.
At what RPM is it "cutting out"? Do you have to run awhile before itstarts cutting out? How RPM is it losing when it cuts out?are you willing to work on it?

At what RPM is it "cutting out"? Do you have to run awhile before itstarts cutting out? How RPM is it losing when it cuts out?are you willing to work on it?
Rwbutler - Prior to changing the primer bulb it would cut out while at no wake speed , maybe 800 rpm. Since then it’s cutting out between 3000 and 4000 rpm and yes it takes maybe 5 to 6 miles of running before cutting out.
I’m willing to attempt to repair it with some good instructions. Although I’d love to be I can’t claim “mechanic” status. Of course we have a Tropical storm raging today. Are you an Evinrude Ficht spe******t.

That word should be spe******t. Hate spell check
spe******t,nope,still learning.sold the first one in Texas in '97.
How old is your gas?are you using any additive?if yes what?and why?
Replace sparkplugs.use the correct/required ones.
Do you have access to fuelpump pressure gauge and/or timing light?

spe******t,nope,still learning.sold the first one in Texas in '97.
How old is your gas?are you using any additive?if yes what?and why?
Replace sparkplugs.use the correct/required ones.
Do you have access to fuelpump pressure gauge and/or timing light?
Just filled up the boat with new rec 90 gas prior to last two outings. I don’t use additives as I didn’t think necessary since using 90 octane. I do have a timing light somewhere but not the pressure gauge. I’ll go ahead and change the spark plugs too. Rwbutler, are you leaning toward this being fuel pressure related? Could this be about fuel or oil injectors?

it’s my understanding with Ficht that the diagnostic tool is either necessary or very helpful. However, if any mechanic disagrees and can effect a fix without one I’m all for that👏🏻
It will tell you why you got a warning lite,it dont fix any thing.
It will assist reprogramming,it dont fix anything
It will show you voltages and temperature,so will a voltmeter and a tempgun
It wont tell you your compression,condition of gas,how much spark or sparkplugs
Have you ran with those new spark plugs,indexed and torqued???

Back